One of the most expensive costs in a wedding is floral. Nearly every bride has a budget for her wedding flowers – or should – unfortunately, most do not understand how they can maximize their buying power while saving money too.
You should have an idea of your overall floral budget before meeting with your florist. That way, they can’t tempt you with wedding flower options that are unaffordable. A good florist will be full of creative yet practical ways to keep your flower costs within budget.
From the bride’s bouquet to the boutonnieres, the flowers add essential beauty and elegance to a wedding. You can have an elegant wedding at a reasonable price!
Whether you have an artistic flair, or barely have time to plan your wedding will help determine the route you go for flowers. Based upon your budget, there are lots of places to use flowers at weddings. Here are a few tips to help stretch the bride’s dollar.
• Go green! Use more greenery than flowers – To save money on your flowers, try using more greenery than blooms in your arrangements or garlands on archways, trellises, etc. Ferns and vines are both inexpensive and easy to obtain, sometimes for free! Awesome choices for cheap greenery are Bells of Ireland and Gladiolus.
• Swap out costly flowers – Did you know peonies can be five times more expensive than roses?
• Stick to just one or two kinds of flowers.
• Buy flowers that are in season in your area and are readily available – Avoid holding your wedding in February or other seasons when flower prices are at an annual high due to Valentine’s Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.
• Include non-florals in your centerpieces, like lanterns – Expand your wedding reception centerpieces instantly with unscented candles. The beautiful glow of candles can be added strategically around the base of your floral arrangements, thereby giving the illusion of it being a larger piece than it really is.
• Rent your vases rather than buying them – Tied stems are less costly than elaborately constructed bouquets, and loose cut flowers in vases are more affordable than sculpted centerpieces.
• Keep the bridesmaids’ bouquets small and inexpensive – After all, the bride’s bouquet should be the most grand and impressive.
• Get rid of unnecessary items such as the cake knife corsage, arrangements for the cake table and the toss bouquet. Also consider skipping the flowers that are often on the chairs on the aisle.
• Find a venue such as a park or garden that is already lush and beautiful.
• Talk to party rental suppliers about renting large potted plants such as tropical palms or ficus.
• Order flowers in bulk and have a group of family, friends and your wedding party help put them together.
• Give your florist a little artistic and financial freedom – Ask your florist to pick the best flower market bargains within your wedding color scheme and other preset parameters.
• Silk flowers to the rescue – These fabric flowers come in all sorts of colors and styles, they are great as centerpieces and work wonderfully as bridal and bridesmaid bouquets too. Think about alternating silk with real. Placed among real flowers no one will ever spot the fake.
• Have the bride carry a single flower or a few of the same flower tied together with a single ribbon. – Long stemmed flowers such as Calla Lilies are perfect for this and it would be stunning whether you carried one or a few.
Planning and remaining within your wedding flower budget doesn’t have to be difficult at all, what it requires you to do is to be a little ingenious and creative along the way, in so doing, you will not only save money on your wedding florals, but you will also be amazed at how beautiful and unique your wedding arrangements will be, while having a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment too!
BONUS Article: Choosing Wedding Flowers – Tips for Floral Success! by Kim Horn, MBC (Master Bridal Consultant – 1 of 59 in the world!)
NOTE: A special “thank you” to Priscilla Martinez, Weddings & Beyond, San Diego, CA for her contribution to this article.
Copyright © 2011 – Larry James. This idea is adapted from Larry’s “romantic” Wedding Website. Larry James is an award winning, non-denominational wedding officiant and performs the most “Romantic” wedding ceremony you will find anywhere! Every wedding ceremony is customized to your complete satisfaction. Call to check availability: 480-998-9411 or 800-725-9223. Pre-maritial relationship coaching is available and not required. You will find more than 470 pages of Wedding ideas, tips (90 tips and growing), ceremonies, and more at: http://www.celebrateintimateweddings.com. Something NEW about weddings is posted every 4th day on this Wedding BLOG. Check Larry’s availability.
NOTE: All articles, “LoveNotes” and wedding tips listed in this Wedding BLOG – written by Larry James – are available for reprint in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, eZINEs, on the Internet or on your own Website. Click here for details.
Add Larry James as a “friend” to your Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/larry.james
Follow Larry’s “once daily” Relationship Tweet at: http://www.Twitter.com/larryjames
Follow Larry’s “Relationship BLOG” at: http://CelebrateLove.wordpress.com/
Follow Larry’s “Networking BLOG” at: http://NetworkingHQ.wordpress.com
Follow Larry’s “Authors & Speakers” BLOG at: http://AuthorsandSpeakersNetwork.wordpress.com